As per the Shambhala Board Resolution, the new Code of Conduct is in effect on Shambhala Day 2021. Following a phased approach, the International Care and Conduct Panel will serve on an interim basis as the panel (equivalent to the international Council) as a way to support the transition to the new Code of Conduct. Access a description of the phased implementation here.
Shambhala Code of Conduct Policies
The Code of Conduct applies to everyone in Shambhala and at every activity sponsored by Shambhala. The Code of Conduct is an offering by and for the community, as a collective commitment to the quality of the environment we seek to establish and maintain for ourselves and provide for our guests and new members. In this way, the Code is a mirror, a map, or a guide. How effective it is depends upon the users.
Scope and Effective Date
The Code of Conduct applies to everyone present in any activity associated with Shambhala, in person or online, regardless of where the activity occurs. The Code is to be effective on Shambhala Day, February 12, 2021 and will only cover complaints based on occurrences on or after that effective date. This gives the community time to read and reflect on these policies.
Access the Code of Conduct
The link below will open a PDF containing all five Shambhala Code of Conduct policies (English).
Code of Conduct Translations:
The Code builds upon fifty years of practice and training in joining heaven and earth. Warriorship cannot be delegated or abdicated, to this or any Code, nor can the Code be a substitute for practice and doing the work to ‘walk the talk’ of the practice and teachings. This responsibility is succinctly stated as the second aspect of good conduct: “Taking responsibility for one’s own mind”.
As we aspire to lay the foundation of enlightened society, the Code of Conduct is intended as a natural manifestation of the wisdom of basic goodness, as applied on the warrior path.
Please click on the link to access the Board Introduction to the Shambhala Code of Conduct.
- Board Introduction to the Shambhala Code of Conduct (English)
- Código de Conducta de Shambhala : Introducción del Consejo Directivo de Shambhala (Español)
- Code de Conduite de Shambhala : Introducción – Conseil d’administration de Shambhala (Français)
- Der Shambhala-Verhaltenskodex : Einführung der Shambhala-Vorstand (Deutsche)
- Codice di Condotta Shambhala : Introduzione – Board di Direttori di Shambhala (Italiano)
The new Code of Conduct consisting of the following documents, together known as “the Code:”
- Shambhala Code of Conduct
- Child Protection Policy — sets out means by which the wellbeing of young people can be safeguarded in Shambhala.
- Policy for People Holding Positions of Authority — clarifies the additional responsibilities of anyone in a leadership role in Shambhala, whose actions can have a greater impact because of that positional power.
- Policy to Address Sexual Misconduct — clearly defines what is considered sexual misconduct and discusses its relationship to positions of trust and of authority.
- Policy on Diversity, Inclusivity and Anti-Discrimination — discusses why such a policy is needed in Shambhala, what inclusive behavior is encouraged, and what discriminatory behavior is discouraged.
The Supporting Information page provides background information on the rationale and formation of these policy documents.